I found myself a little lost when starting this super cool job (how often do you get paid to tinker around with new technology and break stuff?) at Mozilla. What started to calm me down was to create a checklist for myself as a daily routine. I can’t say that I follow this 100 % of the time or get through the list every day… but it gives you a sample of what I go through on a daily basis (it’s not in priority order):
Daily check list:
I. Build downloads
A. OS :
a) Mac OS
1) hg pull
2) hg update
B. Verify that new build downloaded
2) about: config
III. Bugzilla :
A) Week Triages (from monday)
2) blockers: ?
3) litmus: ?
B) Daily regression
1) confirm fixes.
2) look at new/unconfirmed bugs
IV. Litmus test creation
1) create test cases around areas of responsibilities
2) look at test cases
1) Test primary areas of responsibilities
2) Daily browsing testing
3) performance :
4) Dev hot topic testing
1) wiki : week in review
2) priorities (ie other tasks and areas to verify and make efficient)
3) keep track of bug trees, bugs, cc’ed, watch the timestamps, and hg.
(watch change set)
4) keep track of bugs that you reported if it’s closed out.
Beyond this check list I have other responsibilities to handle and even things that pop up out of the blue as all jobs may have. In that regards, I try to stay flexible enough to work on a priority check list:
* Q4 personal goals
– vision : community involvement : make firefox better.
* research how to get log files on android
* research chrome level automations and tools
* get research on fennecmark
* come up with script for “QA eye for the average guy”
* performance testing?
* make unclear litmus test clear
* reintroduce QABot & QAC
* make participation part of Q4 goals (ie. participate in X events)
* have an event every Friday (rotating bugday/testday)
* checklist : Index idea for newbs, intermediate, advanced testers
* doxygen / Natural Docs
There’s also a checklist of stuff that I liked to research into for fun:
Things to look into:
1) need to look into where SQLites are called.
– Child processes read/write issues?
– locking issues?
2) Debug on Android / Simulator?
– use nvidia
3) Tools for android
4) Need to know when blur events, focus should occur.
– blur of text, focus issues : stechz
– text focus and selection issues
5) Pixels , scrolling, and zoom issues?
6) Preference settings
7) Profile dbs
Ya. I’m weird. Learning all this is fun for me and it’s pretty exciting stuff! And ya… it’s busy. I never know what’s going to pop up tomorrow. I guess I should try to get some sleep now. 🙂